snippets and pictures of our not-so-personal lives




Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Where I Got My Party Ideas

I promised several friends that I would post where I got all of my ideas for Danny's 30th b-day party. But before I start I must thank Heidi for helping me with all of the planning and putting together etc. Without her keeping me on track, and helping me with decorations and the cake (ESPECIALLY the cake) I'm sure this party wouldn't have been as great at it was. Thanks again Heidi!!!

Anyway, I got most of my ideas from Kara's Party Ideas. She put together a similar party for her husband, and I just loved it. The ideas for the invites, food, cassette tapes, color schemes, candy, games, and 80's souvenirs (bracelets and glasses) all came from her. Could have done a whole lot more, as you will see if you visit her site. But working within a budget didn't allow everything - which was fine. The bracelets and glasses were purchase from Oriental Trading Company with a deal that they had for first time online purchases. That worked out nicely:o)

As for the 3D shapes I found a site that would allow you to print templates of polyhedra. So I printed tons of smaller cubes and pyramids to cutout and tape together then strung them up with fishing line. I also made several larger scale 3D shapes by tracing them off of my laptop. It was the perfect decoration for the party, because it looked great and was inexpensive.

While searching for pacman decorations I came across this paper mobile that didn't look to hard to make, so I tried it and gratefully it turned out much better than I could have hoped.

I think that the last big part of the decorations was the 80's slang words put up everywhere. I just did that on my own, again by tracing large letters from my laptop screen and cutting them out. Super easy and again inexpensive.

As for games, it made sense to guess 80's TV intros and sounded fun, so that was a no brainer. I used a TV tunes site to download all of the intros, and boy did it bring back the memories. Such fun! Also, I wanted something where kids could participate, so the guessing game of how many licks to the center of a tootsie pop fit too.

I got a lot of the music that was playing from the library. All of the 80's mix cd's were pathetic or expensive, so the library was an excellent resource too. I can't think of anything else that people specifically asked about, so I'm going to call this info good, and if you have any other requests let me know ;)

No comments: