snippets and pictures of our not-so-personal lives




Friday, March 5, 2010

Requested Recipes

So, I have had recipe requests frequently over the past few months and so I decided to post them. If you have any other recipe requests let me know and I will see what I can do. Furthermore, I'm currently compiling a list of recipes I want to request - so be ready. ;)

Easy Pie Crust

2 C. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 C. buttermilk*
2/3 C. vegetable oil

Measure flour and salt into medium bowl. Add milk and oil. Let everything sit for a minute to settle in, then stir only until dry ingredients are blended enough to pull together with hands to form a ball. Divide dough in half. Roll each portion between two pieces of wax paper. Remove top piece of wax paper. Ease dough into pie plate and remove other piece of wax paper. To conserve wax paper, I use the opposite sides to roll out the other half.

* I substitute 1 tbs lemon juice + enough milk to make 1 C. for the buttermilk. Obviously I don't use the entire cup, but it is easier than keeping buttermilk on hand.

Butterhorn Rolls - a recipe from Connie Schreiner

1 tbs yeast
1/4 C. warm water
1/2 C. butter
3/4 C. milk
1/2 C. sugar
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 tsp salt
4 - 41/2 C flour
1/2 C. butter

Combine yeast and water. Melt 1/2 C. butter in large microwave safe bowl. Add milk immediately. Blend in sugar, eggs, salt, and yeast. Stir in enough flour to make a soft dough (I typically add 4 C. flour all at once. Then add the remaining 1/2 C. gradually to get to the "soft dough" stage). Cover and let rise 2-4 hours (2 hours has always been enough for me).

Punch down dough. Divide in half. Roll half of dough out into a 12-14 inch circle. Spread with some of the second 1/2 C. melted butter. Cut pie fashion into 12 pieces. Roll into crescent shape, place on cookie sheet, spread with more melted butter and let rise for another 2 -4 hours (again, 2 hours is usually sufficient).

Bake at 375 for 5 to 7 minutes, until lightly browned.

Bon Appetite!

2 comments:

Sarah and Troy said...

All I have to say is yum. Those rolls are to die for.

Danny and Darcie said...

I thought I had already given the recipe to you, Sarah? Maybe not though. We were always intending to swap several recipes, and I know I didn't do a good job of writing them out.