snippets and pictures of our not-so-personal lives




Saturday, May 1, 2010

Balcony Bird Watcing

I haven't posted in what seems like forever. Furthermore, I was sort of thinking that I'd be posting about our newborn, who hasn't arrived. So what have we been doing for the last week or so, at home, because I really don't want to go anywhere or travel too far? Bird watching from our balcony. Which has actually turned into a new family hobby.

It started with Mary telling me that she HAS to show me something. She promptly led me to our back balcony and pointed out a rather large bird walking around in the water in the pond by our apartment. I thought it was a crane, so that's what I told her it was. Well, the crane has come and gone several times over the last week, and so Danny eventually saw it as well and informed us it is a heron, not a crane. Then he promptly looked up what type of a heron online (great blue heron), as well as the sound it makes. Mary thought this was fantastic!Well, as the week has progressed Mary has watched for the heron. This morning, imagine her excitement, when she came to tell me (actually all of us) there was another bird outside in the water. There was another bird, an egret, and I'm totally impressed that Danny knew what it was. Once again we got out the laptop and looked up exactly what kind of egret (great egret).So, even though we have been home-bodies for the last week, I feel like we have accomplished something. O.k. at least Danny has accomplished something. Because of his efforts, Mary can tell the difference between a heron and egret, and has a new found interest in birds. Something she can watch for from the comfort of our balcony. Which is a HUGE plus for me right now. Hooray for bird watching!

4 comments:

Shellee said...

thanks for your comment. I was sad to miss book club but we all got this awful cold. I haven't felt so worn out in a long time. Hope things are well with getting ready to move and the baby coming.

Danny and Darcie said...

It's no fun being sick when you want to be somewhere else having fun. Again, we all missed you. I hope you are all feeling better now? Still no little baby boy, but we are getting some packing done. We will let everyone know when he comes - which is hopefully sooner than later:)

Kari said...

I can't believe little baby Waite still isn't here. He's waiting for a name. I think you should name hime Edward. (: Ha-ha. I'm glad you are having fun, even if we're not there anymore... We miss you guys! Bailey was crying a few nights ago because she wasn't going to see Mary again... It's so sad.

Henry said...

wow, that's really cool. Sophia needs to hang out more with Danny. She gets so excited about birds, and she'd probably love watching the birds with Mary and then hear all the details from Danny. And that's cool Mary is noticing all those birds.