snippets and pictures of our not-so-personal lives




Friday, February 12, 2010

Pleasantly Playing Together

Mary asked to "do her letters" yesterday after nap time. When she asks this she wants to go to starfall.com and have me help her click on all of the different links of the letters. I couldn't help her yesterday, I was getting ready for the missionaries to come to dinner. I was going to respond not today, but then thought, why not teach her to do it herself. If it doesn't work, no biggie I can pull out her Valentine's stickers, and if it does then she can entertain herself for the next little bit while I get ready for dinner. I showed her how the mouse moved, and how when she moved the mouse she moved the arrow on the screen. Then I showed her how to move the arrow where she needed to, and click on the links. She was excited and enthusiastic to do it herself, so I let her try while I watched. Well, needless to say, I am pleasantly happy and surprised at how well she used the mouse and computer by herself. Furthermore, she was having so much fun that Derrick wanted to come see too. So, I slid a chair over for him, and he watched her. She entertained herself for at least 45 minutes and Derrick was interested for about a half an hour. It was so nice to see them enjoying themselves together without any mishaps or fights. I was able to accomplish a lot, without constant questions and fight intervention. I just had to snap a picture of them being so good together, Mary's new computer skills and Derrick being so excited about what was on the screen.

2 comments:

HeidiPie said...

Yay! Gotta love those minutes where they enjoy playing alone.

Danny and Darcie said...

A humongous amen to that!